A. Enable the Instant Payment Notification (IPN) setting
To configure Automatic Subscriptions with PayPal, the Instant Payment Notification (IPN) option must be enabled. If the IPN is already enabled for your account, proceed to point B)
1. Click Profile on the My Account tab and select My Selling Tools.
2. Click Get Started/Update next to Instant Payment Notifications located under Getting paid and managing my risk section.
3. Click Choose IPN Settings to specify your listener’s URL and activate the listener.
4. Specify the URL for your listener in the Notification URL field (this will enable the IPN globally for all future buttons) - http://RESELLER_DOMAIN/Shared/Html/pp_ipn.html/pp_email=PAYPAL_MERCHANT_EMAIL_ADDRESS
5. Click Receive IPN messages (Enabled) to enable your listener.
6. Click Save.
7. Click Back to Profile Summary to return to the Profile after activating your listener.
B. Setup the Upgrade buttons:
- Create PayPal non-encrypted & non-hosted payment buttons for recurring subscription (monthly / annual), for each of the packages you will sell using PayPal payments. Please find detailed instructions on creating your PayPal buttons here.
- Add the payment buttons to your 'account_upgrade.html' page. The 'account_upgrade.html' page is linked to from My Account > Change Plan link on your accounts. *Please note that after you finalize the integration of account_upgrade.html page with automatic payments, this page will be accessible in end-user view only if the user accessed it from My Account. Attempts to access this page by typing its URL directly will result in redirection to the main page of your reseller portal.
- Add this snippet to the bottom of your "account_upgrade.html" page.
C. Test the setup.
After you completed Step 1, published all pages you updated and applied the redirection for your email address, you may now test whether the automated payments are correctly set up and working. You may test with a real Credit card / PayPal account and cancel the subscriptions/payments right after that - your credit card and PayPal accounts will not be charged when cancellation is immediate.
- Sign up a test account from your reseller portal
- Go to My Account > Change plan and try purchasing each of the packages from your Account Upgrade page. Try any of the packages, with either of the payment options you've set up.
- After the purchase your test account should get automatically upgraded (you may verify that from Sites view of the reseller Manage Accounts area, or from My Account panel for the test account), and a successful purchase email will be sent to the email of registration
If your first test payment did not automatically apply the upgrade - please contact us before proceeding with the next one.